Today we're following up on our penchant for foliage and our love of all things tropical with another wedding trend we can't get enough of: the cactus! Diverse in shape, size, texture, and even colour, cacti provide a bold and original wedding look. Their unique and varied appearance adds an extra layer of fun and cool factor to your wedding decor. What we love most about incorporating cactus decorations into your wedding is that they’re a fit for all types of celebrations - and all seasons - due to their hardy nature. From centrepieces and cake toppers to favours, bouquets (yes really!) and more, we've rounded up 25 of our favourite cactus wedding ideas to show you how to work this stylish trend into your day. BRB, we're off to the garden centre to nab some for ourselves!
Cactus Wedding Ideas
1. Reveal your fun cacti wedding theme from the moment your guests open their cactus-adorned invites!
2. A spiky cactus and some prickly pear paddles take centre stage in this pretty green and white bouquet by Atelier de La Fleur.
3. Tucked between simple eucalyptus branches, these potted cacti by make the prettiest simple and affordable centrepiece. Styling by Holly Williams at Hollyhocks.
4. Now this is what you call trendy. This little beauty combines some of our all time favourite wedding trends; a crumb-coat, drip-design wedding cake, copper and cacti!
5. This cactus paddle escort card display by DFW Events is just too darn cool!
6. Who'd of thought cacti could look so pretty? We’re loving this soft palette of copper, peach and pale green styled by Beijos Events.
7. Send guests home with a mini cactus they can treasure long after the wedding day is over.
8. Best Day Ever prepared this gorgeous, earthy toned tablescape, which revolved around cactus, candles, wood, and blue linens.
9. Just look at this epic cactus cake creation by Abbie Cakes. Perfect for cactus lovers!
10. With spikes removed and sprayed gold, a cactus paddle makes the perfect addition to this alternative bridal bouquet by Fiori styled by Belle the Magazine.
11. A fun cactus ceremony backdrop? Yes please! We love this simple cactus styling idea by Amorology and Twigg Botanicals. Even if you aren't lucky enough to swap "I dos" with the natural desert as your backdrop, you can copy this couple's ceremony look nearly anywhere.
12. Bash Calligraphy created this truly unique cocktail menu on a cactus paddle. The perfect addition to your cacti-themed bash!
13. Pretty pink + spiky cacti = the perfect retro pairing! We love these cacti centrepieces with flowering buds by Twigg Botanicals.
14. A party size cactus shaped cookie, topped with Mexican sweeties? Eh hello! This amazing creation is by Sugar Crush Sweets styled by Beijos Events.
15. Petals, ink. mixed cacti with soft blooms for the perfect balance of modern romance in this bright and bold floral centrepiece.
16. Delicate calligraphy by Alli K Design and prickly pear paddles? An unlikely escort card pairing but it works!
17. This cacti, succulent, protea and rose centrepiece by Butterfly Petals is quite the showstopper.
18. We love this rustic, planter style centrepiece with prickly pear cactus paddles, succulents, garden roses and dried Spanish moss.
19. How adorable is this Mr & Mrs cactus cake topper idea?!
20. A cactus paddle makes a great natural wedding table number!
21. Line your aisle with potted cacti in a mix of different sizes for an affordable yet eye-catching look like this one by Details Darling.
22. Glass vases, some sand or decorative stones and a cactus. One of the easiest table centrepieces you can DIY. Plus, it can be made ahead of time too!
23. Pom poms, cacti and belly baskets, three of the hottest decor trends right now were! We love this pairing by Details Darling, perfect for aisle decor or additional decor dotted around your venue.
24. This individual cactus favour was paired with a pretty calligraphed plate that served as a place card, a genius idea by Jen Rios
25. This soft meets prickly table setting by Butterfly Petals is absolutely stunning! We just love how the mini cacti pair so well with the vintage style elements.
A Guide to Using Cactus Plants for your Wedding
- Cacti can be bought all year round and are most readily available at the flower market, wholesalers or garden centre. Look out for names such as Prickly Pear, Golden Barrel, Mammillaria, Peruvian Apple and Bunny Ears.
- Cactus plants are often a fantastic budget-friendly alternative to flowers so a great choice if you need a more inexpensive floral decor option.
- A sustainable choice, these are plants you'll have long after your day is over, buy cacti you'd love to have in your home, or consider gifting them to your wedding party.
- You can also look into plant rental to save money or if you don't think you'll be able to give plants a good home after your wedding?
- They are heat-tolerant so you’ll never have to worry about them wilting or drooping throughout the day!
- Cactus plant decor can be arranged in advance, so they are ideal for DIY projects or anything that needs to be made ahead of the wedding such as wedding favours.
- When styling cactus plants, include a variety of textures, heights and types. Vary the heights to create an additional layer of visual interest.
- Cactus plants are hardy, so amp the fun factor by spray painting them or adding details such as pom poms or flowers!
- Pair them with other unusual desert or alpine plants such as potted succulents or ferns for added colour and texture.
- If you are finding it hard to track down different cactus plants you can find fantastic fake options on sites such as Amazon.
- Mix and match your floral favorites with any kind of cactus you want! Professional florists are fantastic at complementing the shapes of various blooms and can help guide you in creating the look you want. Here is our hand-picked selection of recommended florists in Ireland.
From bouquets to centrepieces, check out more wedding flower inspiration.